Pages

Thursday, March 17, 2011

we love our boys

We are BAAAACK!!!! Online that is! The last few days have been an exhausting and emotional ride for sure. Allow me to get us all on the same page.

TUESDAY
Rather uneventful, we spent the day relaxing and picked up our permission from the SDA to visit Vlad's orphanage. We packed up and headed to the overnight train. It seemed fun at first. The four of us were packed into this teeny sleeper compartment. Even Syrus was up for it. However, once the train was in motion I discovered how LOUD it is. Sleeping, at least for me, was quickly not an option. It was simply too noisy and I was too excited to meet Vlad anyway. And I have to admit, I got pretty emotional. I was laying there, trying to sleep, and I started to reflect on everything that brought me to that point. Here I was, 7 months pregnant, riding in a sleeper car across a country in eastern Europe to adopt a little boy with Down syndrome. Sounds crazy, right? Only God could match me up with a little boy named Vlad and know that I am supposed to be his mom. And I was going to meet him the next day. I looked back over my life -- how my dad was adopted, how my mom always pushed me to champion the cause of the least, how I had worked with people with Down syndrome all through college, how my life has been all over the place the last number of years with losing both my parents, a miscarriage, and our first child born with Down syndrome -- I could go on and on. And it all seemed like these key moments and facts about my life were all leading up to this moment on this train ride to meet a little boy God knew was my son.

WEDNESDAY
Needless to say, I got NO sleep on the train. We arrived in Vlad's region and were met by this beautiful ray of sunshine, our facilitator, Marina. She whisked us into a car and took us to a place to stay for the night -- she kept saying this would not be our apartment, this would just be where we would stay for tonight. When we got there, I could see why. The location was rough and the apartment, well.... I climbed 12 flights of stairs, carrying Syrus, while Josh and Nancy carried all the luggage. We quickly got changed to hurry off to the orphanage, and I kept praying that Nancy and Syrus would be able to at least relax while we were gone even though the place was not ideal.

We went to the social worker's office and Marina told us that you never knew what questions she would ask or how long the meeting would be. We went into her office and sat down. She asked how I thought I would be able to raise a child with significant needs when I already have a child with Down syndrome and I have another on the way. So, to answer, I pulled out the photobook I made for Vlad with pictures of his new family. Well, that did it. She went CRAZY for the photobook -- how professional it looked, how it took her back to her childhood because I had put a photo with a caption like "my brother" or "my dad" under each photo. She evidently did a project called "my family" in first grade. And I entitled Vlad's photobook "my family." She asked if she could KEEP IT for a few days so she could look at it again and again! So sweet. She signed off on some paperwork and that was it! Marina kept giggling in the car. She said she had never seen the social worker have that reaction before. It was definitely good.

We got to the orphanage by driving through a bleak and downtrodden residential area. As we walked in, I was impressed from the start -- the place was very clean and quite sweet with pictures of children on the walls and lots of rooms and nannies. First, we met with the orphanage doctor who gave us a rundown of Vlad's medical history since he was born. Nothing surprising or unusual. Although again I was impressed by how many tests and vaccinations he has had -- they have really taken excellent care of him. Then a knock on the door and Marina said, "the child is here." And in Vlad came. He looked a little nervous or scared because the room was tiny and there were a bunch of adults. I took his little hand and he looked up at me with these big brown eyes. He walked over and sat on my lap. It was so sweet. Josh took out a little toy truck we brought him and I rolled it up his little leg to his tummy and there it was -- a smile. He took the truck and then threw it to the ground and started to giggle. We only spent about fifteen minutes with him and Marina asked if we were ready to begin the process, meaning did we want to adopt him. Josh said yes before I could even start to say yes. It was a perfect moment. We walked him up to his group's room (all the kids are in age groups and spend their day with their group). We opened the door and a bunch of little heads peered around the corner and started crying out, "mama" and "dada." So sweet. So many faces. Vlad went running into the room and did a victory lap as though it was FINALLY his turn, his turn for a "mama" and a "dada" and came back to the door. I knelt down to say goodbye and he threw his arms around me. The first official hug. :)

Then we were off to the notary's office to sign a bunch of paperwork to officially start the process and request a court date. We were there for over two hours. I was hitting a wall. I was exhausted and the morning had been a whirlwind. When we finally got back to the apartment, Syrus and Nancy were just waking up. I had some grapes, a granola bar, and laid down for about an hour. Then, back up to go to visit Vlad again -- this time with Nancy and Syrus.

You get a real feel for Vlad's size when you see him play with Syrus. They are about the same height -- Vlad is maybe a little bit taller. But when they are sitting next to each other, Syrus just seems bigger because he is more filled out. And Syrus just seems like the older brother somehow. He kept offering his toys to Vlad and was great about sharing us with him too. He would watch Vlad and laugh. It was really sweet. I, of course, started crying like a baby. Vlad is so tiny and he is almost two years older than Syrus. And Syrus seems older than him in part because he has been loved and has a different level of confidence about him than Vlad has. It made me weep a bit for all Vlad has missed by not having parents celebrate him and love him and cherish each wonderful new thing he has done. And it was also hard to watch Syrus at times. He was totally happy and having a great time, but I got all weird and started having "mom" guilt, wondering if Syrus was feeling confused or replaced. Totally my issue. Not Syrus's at all. The sweetest thing the two of them did, was go into this little plastic house they have in the visiting room. It has a door and little windows with shutters. The two of them were inside and kept opening and closing the shutters together with their two little faces both in the same window together. Brothers. Together for the first time.

We left and I climbed the 12 flights of stairs again and I just physically hit a wall. Everything started to ache. I got in and started to sob. Partly because I was physically exhausted. Partly because I was emotionally spent from meeting Vlad. Partly because the apartment we were staying in just seemed to be a symbol of the kind of life Vlad would have if God didn't have a crazy cool plan for him and for us. It was just rough. And I was afraid. Afraid of what we were getting into by adopting Vlad. Afraid of how I was going to be a mother of three boys. Afraid of what would happen to Vlad if we weren't here to adopt him. Just afraid. And it was okay to be afraid. Because then we sat together and ate pizza in our dumpy apartment and talked it all out. And we remembered that God has this all figured out. He has from the beginning. That's been made obvious time and time again. And I was able to breathe in and out and go to sleep, remembering again who was in charge and thus able to rest.

THURSDAY
We slept in! I woke up and my amazing amazing AMAZING husband had found a place to get me a vanilla latte. Haha! Ah, the little things. We packed up and moved. Now, Marina had told us a number of times that we were only staying in that place for one night till our permanent apartment was available. I had NO IDEA what this new apartment was like. Seriously, Marina is amazing! It is a swanky urban apartment right downtown with everything we could possibly need within walking distance. It is clean and honestly feels almost TOO nice! We went from one extreme to the next. Today I have felt like we are ready for anything. Honestly, we have slept, we have eaten, we are in a beautiful apartment, AND we have a darling new son who we spent the afternoon with -- life couldn't be sweeter.

Josh and I went to visit Vlad again today. We went to his group's room and all the heads peeked out again yelling "mama" and "dada" and around the corner came Vlad. He LOVES to be held. He sat on my lap for about 45 minutes wanting to be tickled and held -- he is such a delight. Such a sweet and tender spirit about him. And he LOVES for Josh to chase him and pick him up. He just laughs and laughs. We played with him for two hours and the time flew by.

And tonight, my sweet husband made some delicious chicken stir fry dish and we all hung out and unpacked and relaxed. Well, folks, if you made it to the end of this post which I KNOW was long, then know that life is good. We love our apartment. We love this city. We love Marina. We love the orphanage. And we love our boys.

Oh, and of course, a couple of photos. More to come. :)



31 comments:

  1. Corbett,
    i have to be honest, i cried through your entire blog today. It is a miracle how God has brought so many things together in this time. There are rare times in our life when we are able to see so clearly God's hand at work and so precious to be able to cherish these moments.
    Thank you for sharing, and i am sure your mom would be so proud.
    My prayers are with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thinking of you guys every day! I can't wait to meet Vlad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I stayed up late tonight, thinking a lot about my boys and our trip to get them. Then I got the pleasure of reading this:) I am so overjoyed for you. Vlad is such a doll. What a beautiful family you have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. God is so amazing. Thank you so much for sharing your journey and being such wonderful examples of what it really means to surrender to God's plan for each of us. I don't even know you, Corbett, and haven't seen Josh in ages...but you will be the most amazing parents ever to your three boys. They are the luckiest boys in the world. -Holly

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was so worried about you!!! I am SO Happy that things are well now. I just KNEW you would be in love with him...I just KNEW it!! He is beautiful!!! Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This post encouraged me so much! I am overwhelmed with joy for you all! I wish we could have met while you were here in K. I'll continue to pray for you and your journey! Are you staying the whole time or making 2 trips? And congrats on your pregnancy! (I didn't know you are expecting)
    Casey

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Corbett, I am crying as I read your blog. I know Vlad is so happy to finally have his own Mama and Dada. He has watched many of us love our children and take them home....now sweet boy it is your turn.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So excited for you guys! Keeping your growing family in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so excited for your family. It sounds like such a great experience and I'm so happy you could share it through this blog. God has some really awesome things in store for you guys. Congratulations on expanding such a wonderful family.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so wonderful, I am so glad you have finally met your little boy. I can't wait to read more of your story. I have been on pins and needles :) waiting to hear how you were doing. So glad all is well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Burick's face of absolute joy is amazing in the last picture! Love to see a glimpse of this awesome moment for all of you....what a great family!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very teary eyed, Corbett...how amazing to see this little guy with you! You have chosen to live life out of the box and will have many adventures because of it! May you bask in God's goodness and His protection. We can hardly wait to meet Vlad!

    Didn't know you were having a boy! Just like us! My three sons! Safe travels home...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love, Love, Love it!!! What an amazing story God is weaving in your family!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love Love Love it. God's Blessings on your sweet family

    ReplyDelete
  15. So amazing, thanks for the details and the photos. I love you guys and can't wait to hang out with Vlad.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm crying and crying and so incredibly happy for you and your BEAUTIFUL, perfect family.

    Greetings from overcast, kind of chilly Chicagoland!

    Blessings

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow - what a powerful story of God's love and your love for Vlad. It brought tears to my eyes. We're praying for you and can't wait to meet Vlad!

    ReplyDelete
  18. He is beautiful!! Oh and I didn't know (or at least didn't remember) that you were pregnant! Congrats on that too! So many blessings for your family!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, this is so beautiful and so awesome. I sobbed reading the whole thing, from sharing your heart to your meeting Vlad story. This is the day I was praying for Vlad and it is really happening! Your family could not be more precious.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Blessed by your vulnerability in sharing the details of your story. Can't help but think of the undeniable parallels of Christ's heart toward us as I read about your unstoppable, unquenchable, radiant love for your children. Continuing to lift you in prayer. Excited to hear about how God continues to do immeasurably more than we ask or imagine...

    Rejoicing with you and thinking of Psalm 68:
    Sing to God, sing in praise of his name, extol him who rides on the clouds; rejoice before him—his name is the LORD. A father to the fatherless, a defender of widows, is God in his holy dwelling. God sets the lonely in families,... Praise be to the Lord, to God our Savior,
    who daily bears our burdens. Our God is a God who saves!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Crying here too...

    God is so good!

    Can't wait to get our little guy from EE!

    ReplyDelete
  22. YES!!!! I love the picture of vlad and sy together. I love how you were spent....i was beginning to think u were super human. you guys have amazing hearts and God is moving in super cool ways. prayers and cyber hugs being sent your way....

    ReplyDelete
  23. Crying. Thank you so much for sharing all the details! I've been climbing the walls waiting for an update! lol I LOVE the picture of Vlad and Sy together! Can't wait to hear when you court date is!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow. I have no words, beautifully written and so wonderfully exciting! God is good. Love and prayers

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for letting us be a part of these moments. Official welcome the the 3-boy club! Prestigious to be sure! Enjoy all of the love they have to lather on you.

    ReplyDelete
  26. YEAH!!!!! you know I loved this...especially the picture of you and the boys in the toy house...what a great family :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. God is definitely at work!

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a WONDERFUL blog to start my day with, Corbett!!! Thank you so much for the wonderful update!!! God bless you all REAL GOOD!!!

    Christie (Alexander 50's momma)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Tears...beautiful...I'm so happy for you!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete