Pages

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

blankets and brothers

Highlights of the last few days:
1. People keeps donating to our adoption fund. Thank you to whoever you are. God is using you to save Vlad from an unthinkable life. Thank you.

2. One of my favorite moments was I sent a blanket to Vlad with his name on it -- it will be the one thing he has ever owned.

3. My brother is a writer. A beautiful writer. I had a profound conversation with him over the weekend which really refocused me and gave me a peace I haven't experienced in the past few weeks of anxiety over deadlines and paperwork and etc. My brother simply reminded me that the reason why we decided to adopt didn't really begin with Vlad. It began with a desire to chase after Christ and do something that required a crazy brand of faith. It was born out of a need to celebrate all that the Lord has done in and through the last three years of great sorrow and loss. It started with a pull to seek rather than wait to be found.

And my brother told me to do just that -- not chase after Vlad, not run after the cause of special needs orphans all over the world -- but sprint in the direction of God and what He is doing. This is a GOD-story after all. Not a story about me or even a story about Vlad. But a story of God at His creative best, up to His usual incomprehensibly wonderful and unexpected storytelling. And this was a much needed reminder as I was feeling rather suffocated under the weight of timelines and approvals and stacks of paperwork, each in the way of my son coming home. And I, the consummate control freak, was somehow thinking I could tackle each of these obstacles on my own.

It's so humbling and lovely when your little brother brings you home again to a place where your needs are so big that only a mighty Savior could conquer them. To a spot where you have to trust Him because you are truly not able to get the government to move faster. To a home where Vlad will one day live because that is the story that God is writing. I love that. Thanks to my brother -- you are such a great storyteller.

4 comments:

  1. Charity Cunningham recommended your blog to me ... my name is Laura and I married a Ukrainian and we're living and serving in Ukraine. I was wondering what city little Vlad is from??? if it's anywhere near us or where we have contacts, we would LOVE to help you with anything once you get to Ukraine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura, you are SO sweet! Thanks so much! I would love to talk with you -- my email address is cburick@wheatonacademy.org

    ReplyDelete
  3. Corbett, I can't wait to deliver your beautiful gift to Vlad! I hope they will let me hug him and tell him that his Momma and Daddy are coming soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this installment is beautiful. we all need that reminder. thank you!

    ReplyDelete