Pages

Sunday, May 15, 2011

the details of Vladi



It will be a month this week that my little Vladi came home forever. And we are learning so many details about him. Honestly, who he is and some of the things he does just blow me away. Things like he has dance moves that are so exuberant and fun that Josh and I just smile and laugh over and over. Or that he will come into the room and see me and put his arms out and run to me to be hugged. Or that he is always trying to help Syrus -- help him up the stairs or with his shoes or stopping Syrus from getting into some sort of mischief. Or that he loves to take a bath -- not surprising considering how much he loves to clean! Or how he is using sign language like a pro -- I only have to show him a sign a couple of times and he will use it regularly after that. He is so smart! Or how about that he cleans up after lunch by pushing in all the chairs and putting things in the trash. I mean, seriously? And he snuggles in bed with me every morning for about 30 to 45 minutes. Really?!

How did I get so outrageously blessed to have this hilarious and sensitive and helpful little treasure as my son?

Sure he still cries but it is nothing like two weeks ago. The crying has slowly begun to dissipate as he has begun to understand that he can trust and he can love. He can get kisses and give hugs. He can be comforted and snuggled. He can be celebrated and encouraged. Sure he still doesn't want to go to bed at night, but he does fall asleep so much quicker and in a bed next to ours so he can always check and see if we are there. Sure he is starting to test the boundaries, but it is because he is starting to feel a confidence that he didn't have before.

And all of this in only a month. I have learned so much about Vlad in just a month.

I can't help but stand in wonder at how blessed I am that God's crazy plan allowed ME to be this little guy's mom. But I also can't help but think about his birth mom. She really missed out on having this boy in her life every day as her son. I mean he is something else. And I want her to KNOW. To know him. To know the details of who he is. To share all the victories big and small; all the first words and steps; all the wild and crazy dance moves; all the hopes and dreams that I have for this little boy that I'm sure she must have too but doesn't get to participate in every day for forever. I want her to be a part of the daily spilling out of who this boy is. Does that sound crazy? I have this desire to share it with her -- to share Vlad with her. I just think she should know how delightful her son, my son, OUR son is.

I think I'm going to start writing her letters, a journal maybe, where I write to her and share about the details of Vlad -- not sure that she will ever see it -- maybe it is more for me because I've never understood how to negotiate the whole birth mother/adopted mother concept. Maybe it's because I watched my dad cry quietly every time someone on a talk show was reunited with a birth mother, longing to know who his own birth mother was and overwhelmed by the desire for her to know him. Maybe it's because I feel somehow guilty that I have the privilege to be the mom to this sweet, sweet boy and she doesn't.

Every day I am slowly discovering the details of Vlad and how those little quirks and smiles and moments and tears and dance moves and hugs enter into my heart and make me his mom more and more each day. And I don't want her to become less his mom as I become more his mom. I want her to take the journey too. To take it with me as two women who anticipated little Vlad's arrival into their families and loved him in a way that could not be described or articulated. Even if it is only ever a journey on paper -- letters, if you will, from one mother to another mother. Of the same boy. Hmmmm....

9 comments:

  1. Can I just say that I LOVE you!? You ARE a blessed Momma. Isn't it amazing how God knew JUST which little boy was meant to be yours!? I love that pic by the way!! We need to get our ideas together for our meeting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so amazing. I love your blogs. You are all a very blessed family :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i loved that post and i think you are awesome x

    ReplyDelete
  4. God is just showing you what a big heart you have and how much love you have to give and receive. What a blessing two are and three will be!
    Imagine having six like us! (or not!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the picture.
    I like to read Your posts. You are wonderful :)
    All the best :* from Poland

    ReplyDelete
  6. He is such a sweetie. Congratulations on one month home!

    Have you joined us on the After the Rainbow group yet? There is a page on Yuku that we're all moving to. Please come say hi! If you need help finding it or would just like to talk one-on-one with someone who has "been there" please feel free to email me at rachel@reecesrainbow.org

    Blessings,
    Rachel Whitmire
    Post-Adoption Care Coordinator
    Reeces Rainbow Down Syndrome Adoption Ministry
    www.reecesrainbow.org

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just doing my usual perusing of the RR site and came across your picture and story. Sometimes I have to read the success/homecomings amongst the profiles of the other children to buoy up my spirits. I have a wonderful, sweet, hilarious 5 year old boy with Down syndrome - Grant. I'm in love with your two precious boys! They are both so completely loveable and I have loved reading your story here on your blog.

    SO very glad he's home. So very glad you took in this little sweetheart - but then again, you already knew what joy was coming into your life again thanks to your older son! I've been thinking long and hard about adoption and praying that if it's right for us that God will let both my husband and I know! Thanks for sharing your story. You guys have a wonderful writing style an sense of humor. You have a DARLING family and I can only imagine the fun and joy in your home with TWO boys with that extra-special extra chromosome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I found your blog through Reece's Rainbow and was drawn to it because we too live in the Chicago area. I too have 2 sons. My oldest has Down syndrome and will be 3 already in October. My youngest is 15 months old. My husband and I have recently been drawn to Reece's Rainbow and are considering adoption and would love to talk to someone who has been though it. I know you don't know me, but I would love to chat via e-mail if you ever get a chance. Thank so much. -Katie kjgresko@gmail.com We are very much involved in GiGi's and UPS for DownS too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just wanted to drop by and say "Hi" from After the Rainbow. If you need anything please feel free to contact me and also make sure to take advantage of the After the Rainbow group (email me if you need an invite). ATR is such a great group of families and such a wealth of experience and support!

    Blessings,
    Rachel Whitmire
    Post-Adoption Care Coordinator
    Reece's Rainbow Down Syndrome Adoption Ministry
    www.reecesrainbow.org
    Rachel@reecesrainbow.org

    ReplyDelete